Job no: 492917
Work type: Casual, Fixed Term, Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
About the role
Mater Pathology currently has multiple opportunities for Scientific Assistants to work across all divisions of pathology. These roles are available on a permanent, fixed-term or casual basis working either full-time or part-time hours across a 24/7 roster.
With over 100 years of experience, Mater Pathology is Queensland's leading not-for-profit pathology provider, at the forefront of innovation providing a broad spectrum of unique pathology expertise through its highly skilled cohesive team of pathologists and scientific, technical and administration staff.
Salary range: $28.44 - $29.71 (Operational Officer Level 3) per hour plus superannuation
What you’ll be doing
As a Scientific Assistant you will work cooperatively with colleagues within Mater Pathology to process clinical specimens and assist medical and scientific staff in the preparation of specimens for examination.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Demonstrated awareness of the necessity to meticulously identify specimens and to accurately transfer data throughout the data entry and handling process including understanding the serious consequences of misidentification
- Accurate and timely data entry of all specimens into the Laboratory Information System including accurate patient identification, referrer information, billing and site details
- Adherence to departmental quality system procedures, and the occupational health and safety policy
- Provide positive customer interactions for test add ons, laboratory information and results notification
- Undertake test sendaway tasks to ensure accurate and appropriate packaging of specimens to other referral laboratories
- Ensure adequate stock and equipment management processes are in place to meet the needs of customers and avoids waste
- Manage the movement of samples between CSR and the laboratory as required to ensure spoilage times are not compromised
- Undertake administration and general maintenance activities as required for the location
To be successful in this role you will require:
- Strong knowledge of Microbiology sample set up and processing
- Experience in a pathology laboratory in a role involving specimen handling and preparation
- A Certificate III or IV in Laboratory or Pathology related skills
- Ability to work on a 24/7 roster
- Exceptional attention to detail and a strong focus on customer service
- Ability to work in a role that at times can be physically demanding
Why join us?
In return for your skills, effort and enthusiastic commitment you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health, Education and Research and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients, consumers and community.
Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options and have the opportunity to gain further professional development.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 9 August.
*Please note we will be reviewing and contacting applicants prior to closing date so please ensure you submit your application as soon as possible.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend