Fellow in Anaesthesia
Job no: 492961
Work type: Fixed Term
Location: South Brisbane
Categories: Medical Officers
About the role
Mater Health Services is seeking qualified and dedicated Provisional Fellows/Senior Registrars in Anaesthesia to join the team. We have multiple rotational positions available which will be offered on 12 month fixed term contract, commencing February 2021.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
What you’ll be doing
The position of Provisional Fellow/Senior Registrar will:
- Provide professional expertise and services within a tertiary setting as directed and required through the Mater Department of Anaesthesia in the areas of clinical anaesthesia including after hours and on call duties
- The position of Fellow is for a post fellowship anaesthetist, a registrar in their final year of training having passed the ANZCA Part II exam or an experienced anaesthetic registrar of similar experience from a differing training programme, requiring further experience or training in the subspecialty area of paediatric and tertiary adult and obstetric anaesthesia
- Deliver medical services through participation in clinical duties at Fellow level and in accordance with the policies, practices and Values of Mater Health Services
- Demonstrate commitment to evidence based practice, research and quality improvement activities, including undertaking clinical audits and clinical risk management activities
- Assist in the professional development of junior medical staff and the training of medical and allied health students.
Your Role and Responsibilities
You will fulfil the accountabilities of this role in accordance with the Mater Values as outlined below.
- Undertake regular assessment and performance review, actively participate in unit and facility based educational programs and meet mandatory training requirements
- Role model professionalism with respect to confidentiality, patient dignity, effective communication at primary patient care level and with staff, and the completion/maintenance of accurate and comprehensive medical records
- Actively participate in teaching and supervision of Junior Medical Staff, Medical Students and other members of the multidisciplinary team. Undertake skills-based training to support this role
- Contribute to a positive organisational culture, role model appropriate behaviour and provide Senior Registrar representation on hospital committees
- May be required to work shifts, including weekends and public holidays, and/or be on-call.
- Develop a positive culture within the organisation which encourages and recognises high performance, builds leadership capabilities and supports staff to maximise their health and wellbeing.
- To work as directed to provide expert clinical services in paediatric, adult and obstetric anaesthesia and acute pain management through application of sound theoretical and practical expertise
- Ensure appropriate and timely summary documentation through all phases of patient care, by completing patient progress notes, correspondence and reports.
Educational and Professional Development
- Facilitate education and learning by participation in teaching and educational initiatives within the Department you are working, which may include simulation
- Be involved in non-clinical activities as required by the department, for example rostering
- Participate as part of a multidisciplinary team by adopting attitudes consistent with a team approach to the management of disability, and exhibiting the social and ethical behaviour required for a senior staff member
- Senior registrars/advanced trainees and fellows will contribute to medical student and junior medical staff teaching. The teaching opportunities include specialty unit specific teaching and broader hospital wide teaching programs. Fellows are expected to assist in the professional development of junior medical staff and act as role models
- It is intended that the Fellow will both maximise their own professional development with a view to completing their specialist training in anaesthesia.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- MBBS or equivalent level medical qualification that is recognised by the Medical board of Australia
- Current registration with/or eligible for registration with the Medical board of Australia through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as a medical practitioner
- Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) Part II examination at the commencement of employment (or equivalent) as a minimum
- At least 4 years anaesthesia training
- Applicants must provide documentary evidence of compliance before they can be appointed, inclusive of certified copies of qualifications held, current registration certificates, and evidence of relevant immunisations.
Why join us?
In return for your skills you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients.
Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Please provide the following information for the Selection Panel to assess your suitability:
1. A written response of no more than 2 pages addressing your ability to meet the requirements of the role listed under ‘How will you be assessed?’ and within the context of the ‘role and responsibilities’.
2. Your current CV, including two referees that can attest to your performance and conduct in the workplace. Referees should have a thorough knowledge of your capabilities, work performance and conduct within the previous two years, and it is preferable to include your current/immediate/past supervisor. By providing the names and contact details of your referee/s you consent for these people to be contacted by the selection panel. If you do not wish for a referee to be contacted, please indicate this on your resume and contact the selection panel chair to discuss.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 9 August 2020
For further information specific to the role, please contact Dr David McCormack, Acting Director of Anaesthesia on 07 3163 8646.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend