Job no: 492986
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
Categories: All other
About the role
Mater Language Services currently has a rewarding opportunity for an experienced Mandarin & Cantonese Interpreter to join their team in a full time and permanent capacity.
As a Mandarin & Cantonese Interpreter you will provide interpreting services via on-site, telephone and telehealth modes within Mater in Mandarin & Cantonese as credentialed by National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). As part of Mater’s Language Services team this role provides a cultural and liaison link between patients and their families and Mater staff and services.
This position requires sophisticated sensitivity to, knowledge and understanding of, issues impacting people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds seeking access to safe, high quality and compassionate healthcare services.
Salary range: $38.11 – $41.99 (MCAS4) per hour plus superannuation
What you’ll be doing
Key duties will include:
- Coordinate and provide on-site, telephone and telehealth medical interpreting services across Mater sites as required in Mandarin & Cantonese whilst complying with the Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) Code of Ethics.
- Provide intercultural mediation for staff and the Chinese community.
- Participate in Mater presentations relating to Language Services as part of a pre-approved training program coordinated by the Language Services manager.
- Participate in quality improvement activities as required.
- Maintain data and participate in research as required by the Language Services manager.
To be successful in this role you will possess the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- NAATI (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters) Certified Interpreter in Mandarin and Cantonese.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology and 5 years’ experience working within a multidisciplinary healthcare setting.
- Demonstrated Information Technology skills and competence especially with interpreting booking systems
A tertiary qualification in interpreting and translating is considered desirable.
Why join us?
In return for your skills you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients. Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 6 August 2020.
Please address the following selection criteria in your Cover Letter:
- Fluency and literacy in English and Mandarin and Cantonese and NAATI Interpreter Certification or Accreditation
- Demonstrated capacity to interpret in all medical settings including sound knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to identify and convey the social and cultural factors affecting health care to ensure high quality care provided to patients
- Ability to identify ethical dilemmas and deal with them in compliance with the AUSIT Code of Ethics
- High level interpersonal and communication skills as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and to work in a team environment
- Excellent time management skills and ability to perform well under pressure
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft applications and an ability to adopt Mater Hospital's in house interpreting booking applications
For further information, please contact Ling Ling Holloway, Language Services Manager on 07 3163 8022
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend