Scientist - Transfusion/Blood Bank
Job no: 493857
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
About the role
Mater Pathology has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist - Transfusion/Blood Bank to join the team in a permanent part-time capacity (19 hours per week). Reporting to the Supervising Scientist, you will be based at our South Brisbane campus.
The purpose of the role is to deliver a high quality and cost effective diagnostic service on behalf of Mater Pathology within the Transfusion department, supplying operational direction utilising contemporary technology and best practice standards, for clinicians and their patients.
This position requires a well-developed level of scientific knowledge, operational experience and skills to provide operational testing for blood and blood related products within the Laboratory.
The role may be required to work independently as a sole scientist ‘after hours’ and weekend shifts are required.
Salary range: $36.48 - $48.85 (HP3) per hour plus superannuation
What you’ll be doing
- Processing Transfusion samples relating to pre-transfusion, obstetric and out-patient disciplines.
- Providing a Transfusion service to the Mater Hospital Campuses
- Immunoglobulin order fulfillment
- Performing equipment maintenance
- Demonstrating responsible actions relating to the significance of results.
- Undertaking appropriate action in processing results including result authorisation as appropriate and notification of critical results according to Mater Pathology protocols.
- Managing work priorities to effectively meet critical clinical requirements and ensure accurate clinical diagnostic results are reported promptly.
- Utilising scientific and professional judgement in all aspects of decision making.
- Demonstrating a high level knowledge of all aspects of quality assurance in the Transfusion Laboratory, including knowledge and understanding of the current NPAAC and NATA and any other statutory requirements for the delivery of the services.
To be successful in this role you will possess the following skills and experience:
- Prior experience in a similar role
- A Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Medical Laboratory Science or a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in Haematology/Transfusion
- Previous experience working ‘out of hours’ is highly desirable.
Why join us?
In return for your skills, effort and enthusiastic commitment you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health, Education and Research and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients, consumers and community.
In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Closing date for applications is Monday 19 April 2021.
For further information, please contact Kelli Quantock, Supervising Scientist on (07) 3163 8084
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend