Genetic Pathology Scientist
Job no: 493889
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
About the role
Mater’s Pathology Department has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist in the Genetic Pathology department. This is a permanent full time (76.0 hrs per fortnight) position.
Mater Pathology is the oldest pathology service in the Brisbane and surrounding areas. Initially established and supervised by the Sisters of Mercy in 1919, Mater Pathology has grown into a multi-faceted and technologically advanced laboratory service serving patients, doctors and hospitals. The service invests all profits back into patient care and is part of Mater Misericordiae Limited.
Mater Pathology is proud of its history but also is recognised for its experience in highly complex pathology. The service is delivered by dedicated staff that understand healthcare such as our highly skilled specialist pathologists, scientists, technicians, laboratory assistants, collection phlebotomists, couriers and other support personnel that ensure you get the correct result on time. Our collection centres are located in over 20 suburbs supporting local communities. In addition, Mater Pathology also offers a 24 hour collection service out of the South Brisbane Mater Adults Hospital for patient convenience.
Salary range: $33.32 - $48.85 (HP3) per hour plus superannuation
What you’ll be doing
- Demonstrate a high level of scientific knowledge, operational experience and skills in the multidisciplinary testing for Molecular genetics within the Laboratory
- Demonstrate high level general clinical knowledge, skills and expertise in diagnostic genomics as recognised by experience, professional development activities, post graduate education or formal qualifications
- Provide high level skills in small work unit with respect to day to day prioritisation and workflow
- Provide clinical practice supervision to less experienced practitioners, pre-graduate scientists and students within area(s) of expertise
- Contributes to local service improvement activities
- Responsible for appropriate allocated resources under operational supervision from senior staff
- Utilise professional judgement and problem solving skills, particularly with laboratory automation and computerisation to provide a competitive service and, participate in evaluations and validation of new contemporary methods with supervisory guidance.
- Ensure the reliability and completeness of reports and understand test results
- Contribute to laboratory meetings
- Perform duties as per duty statement relevant to area they are employed
- A Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Medical Laboratory Science or a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in Molecular Genetics or an equivalent qualification
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Membership of the Human Genetics Society of Australasia (MHGSA) awarded in Molecular Genetics or Diagnostic Genomics
Why join us
In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 20 April 2021.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend