Job no: 494007
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
Categories: All other
About the role
An exciting opportunity exists for a Volunteer Coordinator, with strong leadership qualities to join our team based at South Brisbane. This position is a permanent full-time role, Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm.
Salary range: $38.87 - $42.83 plus superannuation
What you’ll be doing
As a Volunteer Coordinator you will report to the Senior Manager for the Mater Volunteers team which have a proud record of achievement in both volunteer program management and development. On any given week you will supervise up to 200 volunteers across a range of roles including wayfinding, ward nannies, ward assistants, patient companions, administration, and companion dogs.
You will work with staff to develop volunteer services that enhance the patient experience and support staff in their day to day duties. Ideally you will create a volunteer community committed to Mater’s mission and values who undertake their duties safely and in the spirit of care and compassion.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Develop volunteer services that align with Mater’s mission and Volunteer policy and guidelines
- Build relationships with staff to ensure volunteer services remain relevant and are tailored to the changing needs of the hospital
- Work with staff to develop, implement and evaluate volunteer services that enhance the patient experience and provide staff support
- Create resources including the update and development of new volunteer role descriptions and guidelines
- Provide full onboarding experience including organise on-the-job training and online mandatory training for new volunteers
- Coach volunteers in the workplace and deliver role-specific training for volunteers
- Supervise volunteers ensuring privacy and professional boundaries are adhered to and processes such as attendance, absence notifications and safety procedures are followed.
- Manage issues including inappropriate behavior; workplace health and safety, anti-discrimination & harassment practices in the workplace.
- Recognise and reward volunteers for their time commitment, compassionate care and delivery of quality services.
- Prepare regular reports detailing volunteer hours of service, attendance data, new initiatives and emerging issues
- Promote volunteering during significant recognition days including National Volunteer Week and International Volunteer Day.
- Represent Mater in relevant forums and meetings in relation to volunteering
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and volunteers, build meaningful relationships, manage conflict, provide honest feedback on performance and engage in empathetic and sometimes difficult conversations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and build rapport with people from all age groups and diverse cultural and professional backgrounds
- Experience supervising people, working autonomously, managing competing priorities and delivering project outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to manage databases, use a range of IT tools, maintain accurate records and create procedures and guidelines
- An understanding of healthcare and the risks and challenges associated with volunteering in this environment
- Previous volunteering experience and an understanding of the national standards for volunteer management
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or experience in human or health services
Why join us?
In return for your skills you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients.
Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, outing your suitability for the role and a current CV with two references.
Applications close Sunday 16th May 2021.
*Please note we will be reviewing and contacting applicants as they come in, so please ensure you submit your application as soon as possible.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend