Microbiology Scientist (Night Shift)
Job no: 493638
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
About the role
Mater Pathology has an exciting permanent part-time (15.2 hours a week/0.35 FTE) opportunity for an experienced Microbiology Night Shift Scientist to deliver high quality and cost-effective diagnostic service. The role will require you to work independently on a 24/7 rotating roster.
Mater Pathology is proud of its history but also is recognised for its experience in highly complex pathology. The service is delivered by dedicated staff that understand healthcare such as our highly skilled specialist pathologists, scientists, technicians, laboratory assistants, collection phlebotomists, couriers and other support personnel that ensure you get the correct result on time.
What you'll be doing
This position requires an expert scientific knowledge, skills and an appropriate level of experience to provide operational support for routine and complex testing within the Medical Microbiology lab. Some of your key duties will include (but not limited to):
- Process the urgent and critical samples in a timely manner and understand the media inoculated and their primary purpose in growing organisms
- Perform and recognise the significance of microscopy results (direct and stained) for all specimen types and clearly communicate the results to other health professionals and laboratory supervisors
- Recognise micro-organisms from culture, and identify pathogens utilising automated and manual methods, and interpret results, recognising those that are unusual
- Perform and interpret susceptibility tests including the detection of recognised antibiotic resistance variants
- Demonstrate a commitment to the principles of quality improvement and actively participate in the quality system including understanding the importance for Quality Assurance Programs (QAP)
Salary range: $33.32 - $48.85 (Health Practitioner Level 3) per hour plus superannuation
To be successful in this role, you will possess:
- A Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science or an equivalent qualification
- Applicable Memberships and/or Fellowships of Professional bodies relevant to Microbiology (advantageous)
- Previous microbiology microscopy experience is essential
- Demonstrate high level clinical knowledge and skills as recognised by graduate education or formal qualifications and level of experience
In addition, you will have well-developed oral and written communication skills, and work as an active team member providing laboratory services dedicated to patients and our doctors.
Why join us?
The successful applicant will join an experienced and supportive team and will be provided with an excellent professional development opportunity to further hone your leadership skills while making a positive contribution.
In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, pioneers in the provision of healthcare to Queensland for over 100 years, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 4 March 2021.
*Please note we will be reviewing and contacting applicants prior to closing date so please ensure you submit your application as soon as possible.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend