About the role
Mater Research (MR) has a fantastic opportunity for a Research Officer / Experienced Senior Research Officer to join our Musculoskeletal Genomics Research Group. This is a full-time position being offered as a 3-year maximum-term contract, with potential for renewal, based at the Translational Research Institute, Woolloongabba.
In this role, the successful applicant is responsible for a range of research tasks including to undertake internationally competitive statistical genetics research in the Musculoskeletal Genomics Group at Mater Research. The primary focus of this position will be on identifying genetic and lifestyle determinants of abdominal aortic calcification that predispose to cardiovascular and related disorders.
Dr John Kemp is the principal investigator and Research Group Leader, and the research in this group is focused on combining statistical and molecular genetics approaches to identify cellular and genetic determinants of musculoskeletal disorders and their co-morbidities, including cardiovascular disease.
Salary range for experienced senior research officer: $98,658 - $106,057 (R2 / Level B) per annum plus superannuation and access to generous salary packaging
Salary range for research officer: $87,311.51- $93,724.43 (R1 / Level A) per annum plus superannuation and access to generous salary packaging
What you’ll be doing
- Develop a coherent research program and an emerging research profile in the areas of genomics research, that involves multi-omics analyses of complex traits and diseases including (but not limited to) osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and cardiovascular disease
- Acquire and maintain familiarity with relevant scientific literature and participate in regular meetings to discuss project objectives, methodology and outcomes
- Assist in the preparation of research papers for publication and presentation at conferences and workshops, and in the writing of research grant applications, ethics, and compliance documents
- Assist in the supervision of junior staff and students and contribute to the smooth running of the research group
- Attend, as appropriate, research related and organisational events.
- Observe all occupational health and safety, security, and equal employment opportunity initiatives to contribute to a safe, healthy, and ethical workplace
- Prepare regular written reports in keeping with the requirements of funding and organisational guidelines as requested.
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, experience, or attributes:
- Strong academic track record, including a PhD (or nearing completion) in statistics, statistical genetics, bioinformatics, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated skills in statistics, statistical genetics, and/or bioinformatics with least one high quality publication relating one of these disciplines
- Experience conducting genetic association studies and downstream analysis including Mendelian Randomization.
- Expert knowledge and experience in formatting and analysing large datasets using specialist software and bespoke scripts (e.g., bash/awk/Perl/Java/R/Python/C)
- Rudimentary understanding of artificial intelligence, and computer vision technologies.
- Rudimentary understanding of single-cell technologies
Why join us?
Mater is Queensland’s largest and most innovative not-for-profit healthcare service, providing care for almost 700,000 patients a year across a network of 11 hospitals.
We are a leader in healthcare, education, and research — and that’s because we employ exceptional people. #MAKEYOURMATERMOVE
- Via salary packaging arrangements, allocate some living expenses directly from your pre-taxable income and ultimately increase your take-home pay
- Access to package meal and entertainment expenses via salary packaging
- Access to leading education and professional development via Mater Education
- Flexible working arrangements, including work from home options where suitable
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and on-site pastoral care teams
- Discounts to local and national business/venues for Dining/Retail/Travel & Accommodation/Other
- Access to on-site, discounted parking
- Discounted food and beverage at various campus cafés and coffee venues
For further information specific to the position, please contact John Kemp, Group Leader, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please click here – PD_SRO_MusculoskeletalGenomics.pdf
Applications close on Sunday 11 June 2023. Please note, we may contact applications prior to the closing date, please do not hesitate to apply now.
It is now a mandatory requirement of employment at the Mater that you are and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19.