Research Officer - Neurodevelopmental Research Group
Job no: 497889
Work type: Fixed Term
Location: Mater - TRI
About the role
Mater Research (MR) has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Research Officer to join our leading Neurodevelopmental Research Group. This is a full-time position being offered as a 2 year fixed-term contract with opportunity for extension.
This position is located at various locations including at the Translational Research Institute (TRI) in Woolloongabba and at Herston. Focusing on a wide range of health and medical research areas, TRI is a joint venture between MR, The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute (UQDI), Queensland University of Technology’s Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI), and the Princess Alexandra Hospital’s Centres for Health Research. TRI brings these research facilities together with the aim to improve and accelerate the translation of medical research into greater patient care.
Salary range: $87,311.00 - $93,724.00 (Research Academic Staff Level 1) plus superannuation plus salary packaging
What you’ll be doing
The Research Officer is expected to critically evaluate data and literature, design and perform experiments in the Neurodevelopmental Research Group. The research focus of this group is to investigate the physiological safety and benefit of sulfate supplementation in a preterm animal model.
Some of your key duties will include (but not limited to):
- Manage the large animal intensive care theatre and laboratory, and conduct experiments to investigate neonatal physiology
- Participate in the design, execution and control of research studies
- Coordinate the processing and analysis of data and laboratory tests
- Coordinate the conduct of experimental tests and procedures
- Develop new research methodologies
- Analyse literature relevant to research area
- Assist in the preparation of research papers for publication and presentation at conferences and workshops, and in the writing of research grant applications, ethics and compliance documents
- Work with colleagues and postgraduates in the development of joint research projects
- Organise data for the preparation of proposals for new funding
- Supervision of junior staff and students and contribution to the smooth running of a laboratory
- Attend, as appropriate, research related and organisational events.
To be considered for this position, you will possess:
- PhD in Biomedical Science preferably with demonstrated knowledge of neonatal or neurodevelopmental physiology
- Knowledge of the research environment and demonstrated research skills relevant to the specific project, including data analysis skills
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of high-quality research outputs including publications and conference presentations
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute to the research outcomes as part of an effective team, while independently establishing work priorities
- Strong academic track record and technical laboratory skills in the broad area of physiology
- Experience with using animal models, in vivo imaging, and laboratory techniques
- Experience supervising and mentoring junior staff and students.
- Appropriate digital literacy skills including the use of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, statistical analysis software, Endnote referencing tool, and NCBI Resources including PubMed.
Why join us?
Mater is Queensland’s largest and most innovative not-for-profit healthcare service, providing care for almost 700,000 patients a year across a network of 11 hospitals.
We are a leader in healthcare, education and research — and that’s because we employ exceptional people. #MAKEYOURMATERMOVE
- Via salary packaging arrangements, allocate some living expenses directly from your pre-taxable income and ultimately increase your take-home pay
- Access to package meal and entertainment expenses via salary packaging
- Access to leading education and professional development via Mater Education
- Flexible working arrangements, including work from home options where suitable
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program and on-site pastoral care teams
- Discounts to local and national business/venues for Dining/Retail/Travel & Accommodation/Other
- Access to on-site, discounted parking
- Discounted food and beverage at various campus cafés and coffee venues
For further information specific to the position, please contact Paul Dawson on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Wednesday 5 April 2023.
Please note, we will contact applications prior to the closing date, please do not hesitate to APPLY NOW!
Please Note: We will not require any support from Recruitment Agencies at this time and kindly request no contact is made. Only direct applications will be considered.
It is now a mandatory requirement of employment at the Mater that you are and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend