Job no: 493677
Work type: Permanent
Location: South Brisbane
Categories: Medical Officers
About the role
Mater Pathology is recruiting for a full or part-time Genetic Pathologist to help us deliver care to our network of public and private hospitals and community referrers.
As part of the Mater Pathology genetic services strategy, we are expanding our suite of genetic testing in cancer, neurosciences and perinatal/obstetric medicine. We service the largest private and public single campus birthing and neonatology service in Australia.
The position is supported by experienced clinical scientists and pathologists in other disciplines with partial scope of practice for supervision of tests.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience, relocation package available.
What you’ll be doing
The individual in this role must demonstrate well-developed knowledge and skills and/or the ability to develop such knowledge and skills in the speciality areas in which they are rostered.
This will be demonstrated by means of:
In collaboration with the Clinical Scientists and Senior Scientists of Genetic Pathology, is responsible for ensuring that the molecular genetic pathology testing at Mater Pathology is of the highest standard and complies with all relevant guidelines and standards. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Ensuring that clinically appropriate advice and information is available to clinicians.
- Ensuring that staff are appropriately qualified and trained to perform testing.
- Ensuring that equipment and methods are appropriate and relevant for testing.
- Ensuring that results and interpretations provided are accurate and unambiguous, and that important findings are reported to clinicians in a timely manner.
- Ensuring that the laboratory is enrolled in adequate external quality assurance programs, and that the performance is satisfactory.
In order to be successful in this position, you will have but not limited to:
- Demonstrated expertise in a broad range of current Molecular Genetic testing and diagnosis including a range of single nucleotide variant detection methods, microarray testing, Sanger sequencing, MLPA and massively parallel sequencing (experience with exome or genome level MPS is preferred but not essential)
- Experience with microarrays and exome sequencing
- Demonstrated ability to manage processes and staff in a clinical environment
- Teaching and training of staff and students
- A high level of interpersonal communication skills
- A high level of initiative in working in a complex laboratory environment
- The ability to work effectively and co-operatively as a member of a team
- Specialised knowledge and understanding of the relevance of human genetics to medical practice, particularly for the clinical interpretation of individual patient test results
- Ability to use clinical judgement and knowledge to deal with unexpected, atypical and complex work
- Ability to work predominantly at the interface between the genetic diagnostic laboratory, computer science informatics, patients and clients, and clinical colleagues responsible for their care
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in the clinical on-call and results validation workload in and out of hours. Qualifications MBBS or equivalent
- FRCPA (Genetic Pathology)Registration with AHPRA (no restrictions)
Why join us?
In return for your skills, effort and enthusiastic commitment you will have the opportunity to work for an Australian leader in the field of Health, Education and Research and work with a team who make a real difference to the lives of our patients, consumers and community.
Mater provides benefits not offered in other workplaces. In addition to being part of a workplace that offers compassionate care in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy, you will have opportunities to increase your take-home pay with our salary packaging options.
Applications for this position will close once a suitable candidate is appointed.
For further information specific to the role please contact Dr Cameron Snell - Medical Director on 07 3163 8016
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend